Friday, March 5, 2010

Fruity Pebbles Ale

I had heard on a podcast recently about an Iron Chef style hombrew competition where the competitors had a "secret ingredient" unveiled on them at the last minute.  One of the ingredients was Fruity Pebbles.  I'd heard of using cereals in the mash before, but never a sugary cereal.  So, I had to try it out.

I just did a small 1 gallon batch.  I made up a basic recipe to use up some of the ingredients I had around.

2 lbs 6 oz  2-row Pale
5 oz Fruity Pebbles

6.0% AA Cascade:
1/2 oz @ 60 minutes
1/4 oz @ 15 minutes
1/4 oz @ flameout

Irish Moss at 15 minutes

Mashed starting at 158 F for 90 minutes.  Finished at 153 F.

O.G. is 1.040

I didn't realize until after that I didn't have any yeast and the local homebrew store isn't open on Sunday.  I decided to just pitch the dregs from one of the bottles of Peanut Butter Ale and one of the bottles of Sour Raspberry.  I also threw in some yeast nutrient and yeast energizer to help, since I was underpitching.  It took two days to start, but it seems to have finished out just fine.

The most surprising part of it all is that after I sparged the mash, the wort was a little bit oily.  Not to the point that it was with the Peanut Butter Ale, but you could definitely see and feel a bit of oil on the surface.  Must be from the cereal.  I'm not expecting any head retention on this beer.



In the primary

1 comment:

  1. How did it taste? This same idea just occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete