Friday, February 26, 2010

California Style Pale

I picked up an extract kit for pretty cheap a while back. It was a Brewer's Best California Style Pale kit. After some looking around on the internet, I found a description that it was supposed to be similar to Arrogant Bastard from Stone. That's not bad.

I kept it around for a while because I was mostly focusing on all-grain brewing. Then in December, we ended up having half-day Fridays at work. I invited my buddy AK over to make this with me, since he had been interested in checking out brewing with me. I thought this would be a good one as an intro for a beginner.

I'm not going to recreate who whole recipe sheet here, but I'll share the ingredients used:

Ingredients:
6.6 lbs Plain Amber Malt Extract
2 lbs Plain amber Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Crushed Crystal Malt 120L
2 oz Columbus Hops (Bittering)
1 oz Columbus Hops (Finishing)
1 oz Columbus Hops (Aroma)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this kit included Nottingham dry yeast.

It turned out very hoppy and VERY dark, probably because of the 120L Crystal. It was really good and not unlike my recollection of Arrogant Bastard.

I'm personally really impressed that there's no "extract twang", which I hate. I've heard theories about steeping grains helping with that (something about free amino nitrogens - FAN).

I gave AK one of the cases and kept one for myself. I've given away a few to other folks and have received several compliments.

I would buy this kit again if I needed something to make quickly and easily.

Starting Gravity: 1.062
Ending Gravity: 1.018

I didn't remember to get a picture of this one myself, but I did find one image.  We were also drinking this when we met the Chicago food blogger.  She sampled the American Red and took a picture.  Off to the right, you can see a glass of the California Style Pale.  It's as dark as it looks in this picture.


Linked from Elizabites.

No comments:

Post a Comment