Friday, February 26, 2010

Cascade IPA

I've got a lot of posts to catch up on. Here we go...

I had to make my first batch of all-grain my favorite variety, an IPA! One of the best IPA's around is Bell's Two Hearted Ale. So, I went looking for a Two Hearted clone recipe.

I came across this recipe at Brew 365 that looked good for a beginner:

All Grain Recipe - Bells Two Hearted IPA ::: 1.064/1.012 (5.5 Gal)

Grain Bill (75% Efficiency assumed)

10 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
2 lb. - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)
*optional*
If you like a bit more hop, use 1/2 oz of Centennial as a First Wort Hop addition

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale II Yeast (#1272) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

Notes

Let this one clear nicely, drink fresh.

When I went to pick up ingredients at my local homebrew shop, they were all out of Centennial. So, I had to substitute and decided to go for Cascade instead. I also had to use 10L Caramel instead of the 15L the recipe calls for.

Starting Gravity: 1.053
Ending Gravity: 1.006

In the end, this one turned out really good. It's not really that much like Two Hearted, but I wouldn't' expect it to be too close with a completely different hop. I would love to see some better efficiency from my equipment, but that's not the recipe's fault.

This was also the first batch to go into our new kegerator. Not having to bottle or prime is awesome. My best friend was here visiting from D.C. and described this as "near professional". I'm so proud.


Cascade IPA in the Primary...


...and in the Secondary

No comments:

Post a Comment