Friday, February 26, 2010

Peanut Butter Ale

I knew that there would be a lot of sugars left in the grains after a big beer like the double IPA. I decided to borrow a page from the "party guile" book and threw in the crystallized malts that I had around, let it soak in 4 gallons of water for a little bit then ran it off.

I did a 60 minute boil with 1 ounce of Cascade (again, what I had on hand) for bittering. At 15 minutes I put in 6 ounces of Peter Pan Reduced Fat Creamy (guess what? - on hand) for the rest of the boil as well as 3/4 lb of lactose for a bit of sweetness.

When I racked to glass carboys (3 1-gallon) for fermentation I made sure to try to leave behind as much of the oils as possible. They mostly form at the top of the water. I also tried to leave the peanut particulate at the bottom. The idea here is that you want the taste, but the oils will destroy head retention, and still probably will.

I just tried one tonight after a week of aging and while not amazing, it's drinkable. I mixed a little bit with the sour raspberry for a PB&J type of beer as well. Good times. I'll report back on how it ends up with some more aging.


 

Peanut Butter Ale


Peanut Butter Ale and Sour Raspberry Blend (a.k.a. PB&J)

No comments:

Post a Comment